Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Good Dope by Bobby Capps

From Capps...
I'm here in Los Angeles working on a movie called "Double Duty." I met a script supervisor named Kristine Greco who was standing on the street at the end of a long day of shooting. We talked until the dark of the night. Cheech and Chong came up because I was wearing my FREE TOMMY CHONG shirt. She told me her father was George Greco, a grocery store owner from the Los Angeles area. The name of his store was the Carmel Grocery.

Now dig this all you fans. George Greco was the community friend. He would loan kids a few bucks here and there or help them out with rent once-in-a-while. George was a well-loved man in his community and people remembered good old George even after 15 years or so. Cheech Marin was one of these people who loved George. Kristine told me she appeared as an extra on Up In Smoke. When Cheech realized that she was George's daughter he wrote out and gave her a check for the sum of 800 dollars. Cheech told her he had owed her dad this money for fifteen years. It wasn't that Cheech was trying to get out of it, it was that George was nowhere to be found.

So for all you people whom think that Cheech and Chong are just a bunch of whacked out stoners, take a lesson from this one. Cheech is a stand up guy as well as a stand up comedian.

I was informed by Kristine to pass the word along that George had passed away in 2007 at the age of 80 years old. I hope your reading this Cheech, as she truly felt obligated to tell you and asked me to thank you for being such a good man to her father. She hopes you remember!

No comments: